Download a PDF of Jaime's resume.
Confident, creative and award-winning marketing communications professional with 15 years of progressive experience in higher education more than four years experience as a print journalist. Forward-thinking thought leader with a keen understanding of new and emerging technologies and their use in a modern marketing communications strategy. Experienced across all areas of marketing communications with a track record of innovation, collaboration and success. Strong leader, dedicated employee and ethical communications professional.
BA, Journalism | University of Minnesota, 1999
MS, Integrated Marketing Communications | West Virginia University, 2011
MS, Integrated Marketing Communications | West Virginia University, 2011
- Led the in-house development and roll-out of brand messaging and an updated visual identity, including a new institutional logo and a new mascot/athletics logo.
- Developed and implemented a brand marketing strategy designed to improve brand awareness, perception, and affinity. The ongoing campaign has resulted in an increase in the percentage of incoming freshmen who reported WSSU was their first choice from 43% in 2014 to 62% in 2018.
- Led a cross-functional team to create an admitted students communication plan using print, email, social media, text messaging, and an artificial intelligence "bot" designed to impact the yield rate for first-time freshmen. Intent to enroll for fall 2019 is up more than 10%.
- Merged the Office of Public Affairs, the Office of Marketing Communication, and the Office of Enrollment Communications to create an integrated marketing communications model for the campus. Moved the unit from a "service" model to a "partner" model, resulting in more effective marketing communications efforts. Professionalized operations and rolled out new project management methodology and a "Plan-Act-Assess-Improve" approach for cyclical projects. Shifted the culture to a goal-oriented, omni-channel approach to marketing.
- Effectively managed crisis communications and protected the university's reputation during multiple campus lockdowns, an on-campus shooting with a fatality, campus-wide power outages, Hurricane Michael, and the terminations of high-profile employees. Developed a crisis communication plan and initiated a crisis communication training program for PIO staff.
- Led an overhaul of media relations efforts, resulting in a 50% increase in positive media coverage, a 40% increase in shared social media content. and a 28% increase in web traffic to the university's news site.
- Initiated the development of a regional College Communicators Network, bringing together university communicators from public and private institutions within 100 miles of the Piedmont Triad.
- Oversaw the ongoing evolution of the campus's public radio station, including programming and staffing changes, that has resulted in a 120% increase in listenership over a 12-month period.
- Served as a key member of an in-house rebranding team at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. Conducted research, drafted large portions of the brand platform and guidelines, led focus groups, developed an award-winning rollout strategy and led workshops introducing the brand platform to campus.
- Overhauled alumni magazines at three different institutions.
- Played a key role in the award-winning transition of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh’s Office of University Relations to the Office of Integrated Marketing and Communications.
- Developed and implemented a search engine optimization strategy that resulted in an increase in search engine traffic by 700%.
- Served as a team member for the roll out of a mobile application integrated with Banner.
- Developed the first online daily news sites at two different institutions; managed the creation of online magazines at three institutions.
- Pitched faculty experts to news media, resulting in high-profile placements in the Washington Post, the Orlando Sentinel, Natural Health Magazine, National Public Radio and more.
Vice Chancellor for Strategic Communications, 2018-present
Chief Communications and Marketing Officer, 2015-2018
Winston-Salem State University
Provide strategic management of the university’s overall public relations, internal communications, and reputation management activities. Elevate the university's brand by establishing the vision and leading the execution of a strategic communications plan aligned with the university's strategic plan. Provide strategic and proactive recommendations on policy and action steps in the management of opportunities, issues and crises affecting the university’s reputation and public image. Serve as a senior counselor to the Chancellor on issues that could impact the university's reputation and brand. Guide university communications activities through centralized and direct oversight of marketing and branding, public/media relations, issues management, crisis communications, digital marketing, executive communications, internal communications, multimedia production, external/governmental relations, enrollment/admissions communications, and the WSNC FM 90.5 public radio station.
Director of Web Strategy and Interactive Media, 2010-2015
Provide strategic direction for the university’s digital marketing/communications tools, including its website, portal, social media channels, digital signage, way-finding kiosks, multimedia, virtual tour, and mobile presence. Review analytics, traffic patterns, and search results to improve the effectiveness of the university’s website. Stay abreast of emerging technologies and recommend their use as appropriate to meet the university’s strategic goals. Provide oversight, content strategy, and manage official social media accounts. Monitor social media and respond to constituents during issues management and crisis communication scenarios. Create multichannel marketing plans. Partner with enrollment management on the development of communications to promote the university to prospective students. Implement and manage a virtual tour, counselor maps, and other digital tools to facilitate quality interactions with prospective students.
News Director and Associate Director of Integrated Marketing and Communications, 2007-2010
Serve as news director. Develop relationships with the media to garner interest in covering the UW Oshkosh story. Follow national news trends and proactively pitch faculty experts to reporters. Work with senior leadership to develop strategies for issues management and crisis communication. Draft messages from the chancellor and other senior leaders to provide transparent communications to the campus community. Develop multichannel marketing campaigns for major events and milestones. Provide creative and editorial direction for marketing materials and publications, including significant marketing pieces, such as the annual viewbook. Serve as the news and features editor of the university’s alumni publication. Provide creative direction on artwork and design.
Public Relations Coordinator, 2004-2007
Northwestern Health Sciences University
Develop media relations campaigns to highlight university research, events, and milestones. Develop relationships with the media to garner interest in telling the NWHSU story. Proactively pitch faculty experts to local and national media. Develop and manage a daily news site. Create and promote a weekly podcast and news service about natural health care. Manage the university’s alumni magazine, including overseeing an award-winning overhaul and rebranding; leading editorial board meetings; writing articles and editing submitted content; working with vendors; and developing an annual budget.
Editor and Marketing/Book Service Coordinator, 2003-2004
Manage all public relations and marketing. Develop an annual marketing plan and budget. Craft press releases and press kit materials. Pitch senior leadership to local and national media. Respond to media inquiries. Serve as the editor of a quarterly magazine and monthly e-newsletter. Manage the organization’s website. Serve as gatekeeper for the organization’s brand and messaging. Supervise public relations assistant. Oversee all aspects of the organization’s online bookstore, including ordering product, supervising packaging and shipment team, and developing promotions and sales. Overhaul the bookstore’s website to improve the shopping experience and facilitate retargeting opportunities. Work with both authors and publishers to review potential offerings.
Assistant Editor, 2001-2003
Lakeshore Weekly News
Reporter and editor for a weekly community newspaper. Write news and feature articles and cover K-12 education. Edit staff-written articles for content, clarity and AP Style. Supervise student interns.
Publications Manager, 1999-2001
Hiebel & Associates
Manage the communications needs for the company’s largest client (the Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association). Manage three publications, including an eight-times-yearly magazine and two newsletters. Oversee budgets in excess of $400,000 per year. Write and edit content and design portions of the publication, work with freelance writers, photographers and designers. Manage relationship with print vendor. Create marketing materials and RFP responses for the company.
Assistant News Editor, 1997-1999
Lillie Suburban Newspapers
Reporter and section editor. Cover city government and K-12 education. Write news and feature articles. Edit staff articles. Design the front page and education sections.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Visit my honors page to see a full list of recognitions and awards.
Visit my professional activities page to see a full list of professional activities.